Buika (pronounced BWEE-ka) is a two times Grammy nominee, the latest in the category of ‘Best World music album of the year’ at the 60th ceremony, on January 2018 (New York); she is a Latin Grammy winner, and a Latin Grammy nominee every other year.
Buika exposes her true self on the stage or every time she speaks or sings to others, and, as part of the many unforgettable artists who help to build up greater multicultural, multidimensional and inspiring art bridges and structures of mass construction for the many of us.
She of the sensual languorous soulful voice that can reach any ﬁery heart, bears her soul to her followers across the world and everyone who dares to listen to her without the fear of letting go.
For every single one of her album/performances, she choses and extraordinary spontaneous repertoire, a rich and eclectic blend of genres such as jazz, reggae, soul, afro ‘fusion’, folk, r’n’b, amongst others; on the spot, these are all seasoned up with such distinctive ﬂamenco fusion accent, and such intensity from the beginning until the very end, that it does not leave anyone indiﬀerent.
Buika began her 2018 World tour journey of storytelling across America, Latin America and Europe; Africa and Asia will follow in the fall.
Her new single, “Deadbeat” saw the light on June 25 2018 with a major ‘blow’, the album will follow during the last week of September 2018.
María Concepción Balboa Buika “Buika” born in Majorca, Spain, daughter of Equatoguinean parents of the Bubi tribe; immersed and surrounded by multiple cultures throughout her life, had a variety of musical inﬂuences, from African high live “Soukous / Makossa” to jazz, ﬂamenco, pop, r’n’b, soul and folk to name a few; as she aﬃrmed, “My mother would listen and dance to many musical genres, she had a great record collection”. This eclectic upbringing shaped Buika’s ability to make music without limitations. During her amazing recording career, her albums ﬂow seamlessly between jazz, soul, reggae, afro beat, r’n’b fusion and or ﬂamenco fusion.
Singer, composer, producer of her own albums, poet, That’s BUIKA“The voice of freedom’ as NPR music radio described her a while ago and from whom, she earned the honorable place on their ’50 Best voices of all time’ list. New York times, The Newyorker, Ebony, El conﬁdencial, Metro, Daily Mail, El Pais, BBC World, CNN, are some of the many media sources that have and keep praising Buika’s extraordinary work over the years.
COLLABORATIONS & FEATURING
Buika has collaborated with musicians, music producers, Djs and singers in Spanish, Catalan, English, French, Portuguese, Portuguese and Hebrew, with artists such as Seal, Nelly Furtado, Anoushka Shankar, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Nitin Sawhey, Charles Aznavour, Jason Mraz, Martin Terefe, Aparatjik, Niño Josele, Mariza, Bebo and Chucho Valdes, Luz Casal, "Dizzy" Daniel Moorehead, Jose Luis Perales, Armando Manzanero, amongst many others..also collaborated on the soundtracks of several ﬁlms. In 2011, director Pedro Almodóvar included two Buika songs--"Por el amor de amar" (For love's sake) and "Se me hizo facil" (I found it easy)--in his movie La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In). She also appeared onscreen for the movie. Her vocals give sound to the 2010 Angelina Jolie Shiseido “Pasion” Commercial.
AWARDS & NOMINATIONS
• Disco de Oro - certiﬁed Gold for the album Mi niña Lola
• Best Spanish Song Album: Mi niña Lola (Premios de la Música, 2007 ).
• Best Producer: Mi niña Lola, Javier Limon (Premios de la Música, 2007 ).
• Germany Visual Critics Award 2007: Mi niña Lola • Disco de Oro - certiﬁed gold for El Último Trago (Colombia, 2010 ).
• Latin Grammy Awards 2010: Best Traditional Tropical Album for El Último Trago.
• Luna del Auditorio Nacional Mexico 2013: Best World Music Act La Noche más Larga • Antonio-Carlos-Jobim Award Montreal 2017: World Music/ Jazz Cultural crossover.
Buika's albums and songs have received the following nominations:
• Latin Grammy Awards 2008: Album of the Year: Niña de Fuego (2008, Warner ).
• Latin Grammy Awards 2010: Record of the Year: Se Me Hizo Fácil.
• Latin Grammy Awards 2013: Record of the Year: La Nave del Olvido.
• Grammy Awards 2013: Best Latin Jazz Album: La Noche más Larga (2013, Warner Music Spain S.L.).
• Latin Grammy Awards 2016: Record of the Year: Si Volveré.
• Grammy Awards 2018: Best World Music Album: Para Mi (2017, Warner Music Spain S.L.).